Benefits of Broccoli Sprouts
There are many health benefits of broccoli sprouts. Here are our top 6 reasons why you should be eating them daily as part of a healthy diet.
1. Cancer fighting: Broccoli sprouts contain a high concentration sulforaphane, an organic compound which helps to fight/prevent cancer, according to scientific research. Broccoli seeds contain up to 20 times the amount of sulforphane as whole broccoli.
2. Relieve Ulcers: The sulphorophanes also inhibit Helicobacter pylori, bacteria that cause gastric ulcers. An extensive study published in the journal Cancer Prevention Research in 2009 found that daily intake of broccoli sprouts for 2 months reduces colonisation and improves infection
3. Reduce symptoms of Asthma: Eating broccoli sprouts increases the antioxidant compounds that control the airway inflammation associated with bronchial asthma.
4. Lower Cholesterol: Daily intake of broccoli sprouts can reduce levels of bad cholesterol (LDL) while enhancing good cholesterol (HDL).
5. Reduce the risk of cardiovascular disease: Sulforaphanes generate Phase 2 enzymes in the liver, which decrease inflammation and boost heart, artery and kidney function. They also protect the blood vessels and prevent vascular diseases linked with diabetes.
6. Have fun with your children growing your own crop of sprouts and watch them reap the nutritional benefits.